Hiring Imam Position at the SNMC
To address the growing needs of the community and complement existing services, the South Nepean Muslim Community (SNMC) is seeking a passionate, motivated full-time Imam to lead SNMC as the Centre of excellence in spirituality, education and youth activities in Canada.
SNMC, located in the heart of Ottawa Suburb, is a multi-ethnic, multi fiqh, diverse and inclusive Masjid and Community Center. SNMC was established in 1998 and later opened and moved into its new masjid and community Centre in Barrhaven, OTTAWA, Ontario in December 2014. Barrhaven is home to approximately 15,000 diverse Muslims.
Additional information can be found at www.snmc.ca
- A degree in Islamic Studies, Quran, Fiqh, Seerah or related field from an established and recognized an educational institution
- Fluency in both English and Arabic, French is an asset
- Comprehensive knowledge of Shariah, Hadith, and Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) and the ability to apply it in a Canadian Context
- Hafiz Al Quran
- Ability to attract youths, sisters, young, adults and seniors to be actively engaged in enhancing their spirituality, beautification of Quran recitation and understanding of the inner meaning of the Quran and Islam as it relates to their daily life.
- 5 years experience is an asset – in an established Masjid or Islamic institution in a North American or European context
- Ability to engage and motivate youth
- Strong, proven ability to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds in a multi fiqh and multi-ethnic environment
- Demonstrate experience in conflict prevention, counseling, and resolution in family and youth issues
- Charismatic and inspirational speaker
- Must be able to legally work in Canada (Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead daily prayers, Juma, Taraweeh, Janazah and Eid prayers
- Conduct matrimonial services
- Lead by example, develop and uplift spirituality by integrating Quran and Hadith in a Canadian context
- Offer family and youth counseling and guidance in an organized way in a Canadian context
- Actively guide and serve as an advisor to the SNMC Saturday Islamic school
- Actively participate in the Ottawa Gatineau Imam Council activities
- Participate in Ottawa community activities furthering good interfaith and public relations for Islam and Muslims
- Develop and implement educational programs such as Quran, Hadith, Arabic, Tajweed, Seerah and Fiqh lessons as well as extracurricular programs for the youth, sisters, and seniors.
- Work with SNMC Board of Directors on religious matters, community issues, and SNMC programs and activities as requested
- Develop and implement educational programs for new Muslims and non-Muslims
For further questions and clarification relating to this application please email email@example.com
Please apply with confidence via email addressed firstname.lastname@example.org and include two references, with a cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications as outlined above. The position is open until filled.