|Imam Zijad’s Corner: Jesus or ‘Isa (pbuh) is honored by Muslim Faith
‘Isa or Jesus (pbuh) is the part of Muslim belief system. One who rejects him as a prophet, rejects other prophets and as such he or she is not considered a Muslim; one who disbelieves in him as the prophet of God, disbelieves in all of the prophets of God.
To truly accept one prophet necessitates the acceptance of all the prophets, those before him and those after him and their message. His message (mission) was the same message as the message of all the other messengers. In the Qur’an, it is said that God never sent a messenger to mankind except that he was sent with one warning: Worship God alone. (2:87; 2:253; 4:157; 5: 26-27; 5:46-47; 61:6)
Shari’ah (an ideal law) of Jesus was different from the Shari’ah of Musa or Muhammad (may peace be upon all of them) for contextual reasons…different conditions under which people lived as well as different times.
Jesus (pbuh) is of great significance in Islam. Many people, including Muslims, are unaware of his true place in Islamic intellectual tradition and the true spirit of reverence which Muslims display towards him and his mother Mary (Maryam).
This feeling of closeness to both of them springs from the fountainhead of Muslim faith – Islam, as prescribed by the two formative sources of Islam, namely the Qur’an and the Sunnah.
Jesus is known to the Muslims and in Islam as ‘Isa. This is the name for Jesus that we have been given in our scriptures. Whenever Muslims mention his name, ‘Isa or Jesus, we are to honour him by saying “’alaihis salam” what means “may peace be upon him.”
This name ‘Isa has been mentioned in the Qur’an 25 times. Though ‘Isa is mentioned in the Qur’an by his name, he is also addressed with respect as Ibn Maryam (son of Mary), Masih (the anointed one, blessed one, the truthful one, etc.), Abdullah (the servant of God), Rasulullah (the Messenger of God), Kalimatullah (the word of God), Ruhullah (the spirit of God)…
In short, here are a few important points that Muslims and non-Muslims should know about what Muslims believe (or not believe) regarding Jesus (pbuh):
1. 1. Muslims love Jesus and the prophet of God. We also love Abraham, Moses, and Noah, to name just a few other Prophets Muslims revere (May God’s peace be upon all of these great messengers of God).
2. 2. In Arabic Bible the name for God is Allah. Therefore all Arab Christian call God Allah as Muslim do as well.
3. 3. Jesus is called ‘Isa (pronounced ‘Eesa) in Arabic.
4. 4. Jesus prayed to the same God as all Prophets and as Muslims do.
5. 5. Muslims believe that Jesus was born miraculously of a virgin mother and no father. His birth is miraculous like the birth of Adam, the first human being, who was created with neither mother nor father.
6. 6. Muslims also love the mother of Jesus, the Virgin Mary. We believe she was a pious and noble woman chosen over all of the women of the world.
7. 7. Muslims do not believe that Jesus was the son of God. God is so self-sufficient that He does not need a son or any kind of partner.
8. 8. Jesus did not die on the cross. Rather, God saved him as his enemies were confused about him. Jesus was taken up by God to Heaven.
9. 9. Jesus performed miracles by the Will of God, like healing the blind and those with leprosy.
…our narrative about Jesus (pbuh) and his mother Mary (may God be pleased with her) is an interesting narrative…please check with authentic Islamic resources for more info.
- December 19, 2017
- Comments Off on Imam Zijad’s Corner: Jesus or ‘Isa (pbuh) is honored by Muslim Faith