THE UGLY CRIME of Honor Killing – Part 5
What Canadian Muslims could do regarding the crime known as “honor killing”?
Here are some practical steps, suggested by the Western Muslims scholars, that Canadian Muslims could undertake immediately on both an individual and collective basis:
- Canadian Muslim scholars and religious leaders must strongly emphasize that “honor” killings have absolutely no sanction in the Qur’an, the Prophetic practice, or in Islamic law and that actions of this nature are totally against the basic principles of Islam – un-Islamic. Friday sermons (Khutbahs) are the best venues to address the topic. Every month, they should devote one or two Khutbahs on contemporary family challenges Canadian Muslims face here and explain them within the Canadian context.
- Canadian Muslims must declare that anyone found guilty of involvement in honor killings is guilty of cold-blooded murder and thus, Islamically speaking, a sinner.
- Canadian Muslims must encourage judicial authorities in our great country to enact the harshest penalties possible for anyone accused of involvement in “honor” killings.
- Canadian Muslim scholarship are obliged to create programs through which they will be able to share the information based on the Islamic formative principles that defines eloquently the un-Islamic nature of “honor” killings, and encourage more understanding of the pressures, nuances, challenges and complications facing young Muslims — male and female — in our globalized world, the planetary “global village.”
- All men (and here I speak to all Muslim men – my brothers in faith) should pledge that they will never engage in, support, or remain silent about the physical, psychological, and emotional abuse of Muslim and non-Muslim women and children. This should be organized in all mosques, centers and other institutions.
- Canadian Muslims must work to eliminate double standards and expose the hypocrisies that persist among some individuals concerning the apparent lesser severity of indiscretions of males as opposed to those of females (this is a cultural mentality, not a religious one).
- Canadian Muslims are obliged to work with the media in a constructive manner so to remove any misunderstanding and prejudice in regards to the faith of Muslims and that failure of some uninformed and ignorant Muslims should not be regarded as failure of Islam and Muslims but rather a lack of presence of the faith in their lives.
Let me conclude by affirming once again that Islam honours the life and dignity of every individual and its teachings abhor any sort of violence especially a crime called “honour killing.” Domestic violence is a sin and crime against humanity that all conscious and ethical beings (and all institutions) should oppose in the strongest terms possible. Everyone should work strenuously to eliminate it. If our families – all members – do not feel safe physically, emotionally, spiritually and psychologically, then we are all at risk; by contrast, if families are safe, then all of us will prosper and the whole society. (the END of the series on the topic)